Anastasia Karakitsou was interviewed about the concept of xenophobia, on February 1, 2021, by Rehana Paul, CID intern.
In the interview, Anastasia addresses the following topics:
- What is Xenophobia?
- What is the role of intercultural dialogue in combatting xenophobia?
- How are linguistics and xenophobia related?
- Tell us more about critically thinking about and resisting the status quo.
- How does xenophobia have an impact on issues such as migration?
For further information, see her one-page summary:
Karakitsou, A. (2017). Xenophobia. Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue, 89.
or this brief elaboration:
Karakitsou, A. (2018). Guest post: Xenophobia vs. intercultural dialogue. Center for Intercultural Dialogue.
Dr. John Corbett was interviewed about the concepts of communicative competence and intercultural competence, on December 12, 2020, by Rehana Paul, CID intern.
Dr. Corbett answers the following questions:
- What is communicative competence?
- How do communicative competence and intercultural dialogue fit together?
- How does intercultural language education relate to these other terms?
- How has COVID-19 influenced telecollaboration in intercultural communication?
- Compare communicative competence to intercultural competence.
For further information, see his one-page summary:
Corbett, J. (2014). Communicative competence. Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue, 9.
Dr. Elenie Opffer was interviewed about the concepts of peacebuilding and safe space, on October 27, 2020, by Rehana Paul, CID intern.
Dr. Opffer answers the following questions:
- What is peacebuilding and why is it important?
- How are intercultural dialogue and peacebuilding related?
- Describe your involvement in high conflict areas of Africa.
- What are safe spaces, and why are they important?
For further information, see her one-page summaries:
Opffer, E. (2015). Peacebuilding. Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue, 64.
Opffer, E. (2015). Safe space. Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue, 71.
Rehana Paul is currently pursuing a BA in International Studies from the School of International Service at American University in Washington DC, as well as a BS in Business Administration from American University’s Kogod School of Business.
Rehana is serving as an intern at CID in 2020, creating and editing a series of video interviews and working on CID’s social media channels. She has worked in journalism, communications, and marketing since 2018, the same year she founded Overachiever Magazine. OM is a digital platform for Asian women that explores the world from Asian women’s perspective, covering everything from politics to fashion to activism to culture.
Rehana wants to apply her experience in communications to policy writing, and eventually work in the field at the intersection of conflict resolution, counterterrorism, diplomacy, and policy.
Work for CID: Rehana is an intern at CID, and is conducting interviews to post to the site, and to YouTube.