The Langues et Discours research centre of the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB) is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to work on “Between the devil and the deep blue sea. Implementing language policy in urban heteroglossic schools”, a new project funded by the Belgian Fund for Scientific Research (FNRS).
Project description: The project sets out to investigate how teachers implement monolingual policies in distinctly heteroglossic urban schools. Its goals are to investigate how teachers articulate a monolingual policy, to what extent and in what way teachers are responsive to linguistic diversity, and which conditions facilitate either of these realisations. These questions will be explored in four Belgian secondary schools. Data have already been collected for two of these schools by the project promotor. These data will be revisited and compared with new data to be collected by the postdoctoral researcher through ethnographic fieldwork in one or two secondary schools in Brussels (French- and Dutch-medium), depending on the applicant’s command of Dutch and/or French.
Research domains: sociolinguistics, educational linguistics, linguistic anthropology, linguistic ethnography
– carrying out linguistic-ethnographic fieldwork
– analysing interaction in the classroom
– preparing research output for international journals
– presenting research at international conferences
– contributing to occasional supervision of MA students and/or course teaching
– a 24-month position, renewable with two years, funded by the Belgian National Science Foundation (FNRS), from 1 October 2016.
– PhD in sociolinguistics or related disciplines (predoctoral applicants must have obtained their PhD at the latest by 30 September 2016).
– Relevant research experience in studying interactional processes, preferably in classroom settings
– Excellent skills in Dutch or French
– Excellent skills in English
– Applicants must not have obtained their PhD prior to 1 October 2010.
Deadline for application is 1 June 2016. Applications (motivation letter + CV + recommendation letter + one paper the applicant is proud of) should be sent in electronic format to prof. dr. Jürgen Jaspers (firstname.lastname@example.org). Notification of acceptance will be sent before 1 July 2016.
Starting date: 1 October 2016
Place of work: the applicant will be based at the Solbosch Campus of the Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB) (Avenue F.D. Roosevelt 50, CP 175, 1050 Brussels, building A).