CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
2011 BENJAMIN FRANKLIN TRANSATLANTIC FELLOWS (BFTF) SUMMER INSTITUTE
July 2-July 29, 2011 – Ages 16-18
Wake Forest University
Do you know a teenager (16-18) who is interested in meeting young people from Europe, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia? Do they have an interest in learning more about transatlantic relationships, democracy and civic engagement?
The Department of Communication at Wake Forest University is offering 10 Scholarships for American students to attend the 2011 Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellows (BFTF) Summer Institute. These Scholarships include the following:
• $2,500 scholarship; Designation as Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellow (covers tuition, activities, meals and lodging in WFU dorm, and partial travel funds to and from WFU)
• Participation in all Institute events, including classes on: Citizenship, Comparative Constitutionalism, Documentary Production and Theory, New Media, Public Advocacy, taught by Wake Forest and visiting faculty.
• Seven day educational trip to Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia, PA, including a visit to the State Department, The Washington Center and several sites including the Newseum in DC; Constitution Center in Philadelphia, etc.
• Civic engagement activities, local community service projects and workshops on public advocacy.
• Cultural activities including an International Dinner, visits to places of worship and other local sites.
The U.S. Fellows would join about 50 Fellows on the Wake Forest campus for a month-long Institute. The international Fellows are from over 30 countries ranging from Armenia to Iceland, Denmark to Kosovo, Malta to Lithuania. Participants will arrive at WFU on July 2 and depart on July 29, 2011.
Applicants must be U.S. Citizens and 16-18 years old. For more information and the application form, visit the website.