This is a newly created regular full-time position.
Director, Communications and Community Relations
Royal Roads University
Royal Roads University, located just minutes from downtown Victoria, British Columbia and situated amongst old growth forest and awe inspiring ocean and mountain views, is the only public university in Canada created solely to address the knowledge needs of the global economy and the BC labour market through applied and professional programs – our flexible, innovative learning model is integral to our success.
Our organizational vision is to connect people, ideas and experiences to change lives and the world. Strategic communications is a key support function to achieving this vision by managing the institutional reputation, enhancing its relevance and by strengthening relationships to expand influence and create partnerships.
Responding successfully to meet the changing needs of the post-secondary landscape has afforded Royal Roads University (RRU) continued growth opportunities. As we continue to move forward in our 20th year of business we are seeking a proven and experienced communications and community relations professional who will be a strategic facilitator for the VP, Communications and Advancement and the Executive. In executing this role you will integrate annual and multi-year initiatives and tactics across several, mutually-supporting functions (stakeholder & government relations, media relations, executive services, institutional communications). Additionally, you will ensure the strategic positioning of RRU’s messaging, guided by the need to convene public trust, regulatory compliance and Ministry policy.
In leading the Communications unit you will be operationally accountable for: linking organizational strategy and communications; building and maintaining trust and performance across relationships within the functional scope (government relations, community, media); and leveraging and managing communication opportunities and challenges with the digital evolution and social web.
To be well suited to the role you will possess the following qualifications and competencies:
• A graduate degree or equivalent in communications, public relations or a related field plus five to seven years of relevant experience, preferably for an educational institution.
• Five years of related senior professional communications and public/government relations experience.
• Superior oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated success in developing and implementing communications and stakeholder relations plans.
• Successful track record of building positive stakeholder relations, including media relations.
• Proven planning, performance management, budgeting and supervisory skills.
• Independent initiative, sound judgment and strategic decision-making abilities.
• Excellent organizational, project management and time management skills, including the ability to work to tight deadlines and deal with a high degree of organizational complexity.
• Demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills
• Highly collaborative, ability to work consensually with cross functional teams representing various schools and departments
• Ability to work on a number of different initiatives concurrently.
• Understanding of and respect for the values and culture of a university environment.
• Proven ability to independently set and accomplish goals, establish priorities and meet deadlines with minimal direction.
• Excellent financial management and administration skills.
Royal Roads University is committed to appreciating and celebrating the diversity of students, faculty, and staff. We strive to increase understanding and acceptance of each other, thereby making us more compassionate human beings and strengthening the fabric of our communities. Experience working in diverse settings is essential to this position.
In addition to a collegial learning community, Royal Roads University offers a comprehensive compensation package, with a starting salary based on qualifications and experience and participation in the College Pension Plan.
To apply please forward your cover letter and curriculum vitae (preferably in electronic format) to:
Competition # 15-107-M0151
Human Resources – Career Opportunities
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Road
Victoria, BC V9B 5Y2
Fax: (250) 391-2570 Tel: (250) 391-2511
The competition will begin on September 1, 2015 and review of interest received will commence on September 21, 2015; however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
While Royal Roads University values all applications we receive, only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted. RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.
If you are sending your application via e-mail, please ensure that your electronic file is saved in MS Word or Adobe format.