Conference 2014 – Call for Papers
The theme for the seventh annual Newspaper and Periodical History Forum of Ireland (NPHFI) Conference, to be held at University College Cork on Friday and Saturday, 21-22 November 2014, is: Home thoughts from abroad: History, the Press and Diaspora
Proposals are welcome for papers that address the relationship between the press and diaspora in Irish and other historical contexts. The focus of the papers should be print journalism, and topics that might be addressed include:
· Biographical sketches of individual journalists who lived / worked abroad
· Press and empire(s)
· Journalism, migration and migrant identity
· Transnational journalism in a historical context
· Technological and transnational influence on print journalism
· Case studies of key diaspora publications / diaspora press owners
Abstracts should be no longer than 500 words. Abstracts must contain a clear title and present clearly the main thesis / argument proposed. Each abstract must also include name(s), affiliation, institutional address and email address(es) of the author(s).
To submit a proposal, please email a 500-word summary of your paper and a brief biographical note to the NPHFI secretary, Oliver O’Hanlon.
The closing date for submission of proposals is 27 June 2014.