Call for application:
Dr. D.Ray Heisey Graduate Student Scholarship
Association for Chinese Communication Studies
Dr. D. Ray Heisey (1932-2011) was Director (1983-1996) and Professor Emeritus of Communication Studies at Kent State University. He was a renowned intercultural communication scholar who served as Advisor on many Chinese students’ dissertation committees. He had facilitated research collaborations between scholars and students in the US and from the Far East, Middle East, Europe, and North America. He loved traveling and experiencing other cultures, having lived in or visited over 40 countries. Dr. Heisey had taught in Chinese universities and published a great number of research works on Chinese communication studies with Chinese students and scholars. Dr. Heisey was a long term ACCS member. His enthusiasm, dedication to education, and personal and scholarly integrity continue to impact ACCS scholars. In honor of Dr. D. Ray Heisey’s contribution to Chinese Communication Studies, the ACCS has decided to establish a Dr. D. Ray Heisey Scholarship each year. The award amount is $400.
– You must be a current ACCS member
– You must be a second-year, or above, graduate student majoring in the area focusing on Chinese Communication Studies, enrolled full-time at a university.
– You must complete an application form and submit all required materials* to the Committee of Dr. D. Ray Heisey Scholarship.
*Required materials: personal statement, two recommendation letters, current transcript, curriculum vita, and a writing sample.
CRITERIA FOR SCHOLARSHIP SELECTION
– The scholarship is awarded to a graduate student who has enrolled in the major in second year or above for the semester in which the scholarship is received.
– An above average academic record (3.2 on a 4.0 scale) verifiable by current school transcripts.
– An expressed desire to enter the field of Chinese Communication Studies in a 1-3 page typewritten statement of application.
– Leadership skills and research records, and active involvement in ACCS activities.
The scholarships will be awarded for the academic year (Fall 2015-Spring 2016). The deadline for accepting applications is October 30, 2015. The online application form is at http://www.uni.edu/commstudies/accs/scholarship/application_form.htm