Faculty, School of Communication and Culture, Royal Roads University, Victoria, BC, Canada
Closing Date: Sun, 08/30/2015 – 5pm
Five-year initial term
Posting status: Open
This is a replacement position.
Royal Roads University invites your interest in a 5 year probationary Faculty appointment at the rank of assistant, associate or full professor within our School of Communication and Culture in the Faculty of Social and Applied Sciences. As a full-time core faculty member, you will play a key role in the delivery of the school’s Communication programs.
The School of Communication and Culture offers three degrees in communication studies which are focused on the theory and practice of professional communication in a wide range of contexts including media, organizational and intercultural. We focus on developing critical, creative, professionals through our educational approach. See our website for more details.
Our ideal candidate is passionate about helping others achieve their academic goals. They will have demonstrated teaching experience at undergraduate and graduate levels in the field of professional communication studies, an ability to work as a team member within an interdisciplinary, outcomes-based curriculum, and administrative experience and abilities preferably in a University academic setting.
Royal Roads University is committed to appreciating and celebrating the diversity of students, faculty, and staff. We strive to increase understanding and acceptance of each other, thereby making us more compassionate human beings and strengthening the fabric of our communities. Experience working in diverse settings is essential to this position.
To be considered, candidates will possess:
• Doctorate or ABD in Communication
• Demonstrated teaching excellence at the undergraduate and graduate level in the field of Professional Communication
• Administrative experience in leading a program including the ability to recruit, develop and support instructors, address issues from students, monitor the day to day delivery of courses, participate in program planning and reviews, attend program events, liaise with university departments, and lead program development and marketing.
• Experience with applied and action research methods
• Graduate student supervision experience and an understanding of the ethical requirements of graduate research
• Familiarity with online and face-to-face course design and delivery
• Experience in the integration and application of adult learning principles in course design and delivery
• Literacy in online and communication technologies as well as media production • Experience in the communication sector, and ability to develop networks in the field, both locally and globally
• A developed program of research with an emphasis on practical applications
• Demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member with a variety of teams and stakeholder groups across the university (faculty, sessional faculty, practitioners, University staff, and management)
• Demonstrated experience in an outcomes-based and interdisciplinary learning environment (preferred)
In addition to a collegial learning community, RRU offers a comprehensive compensation package, with a starting salary and academic rank based on qualifications and experience.
To apply please forward your cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a statement of teaching philosophy (preferably in electronic format).
The competition will begin on July 2, 2015. Review of applications will begin August 30, 2015; however, the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
While Royal Roads University values all applications we receive, only those candidates chosen for further consideration will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide the names and contact information for three referees, and to arrange for the forwarding of degree transcripts directly from the granting institutions.
RRU is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the principle of equity in employment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority consideration.