**CALL FOR PAPERS**
INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION INTEREST GROUP
EASTERN COMMUNICATION ASSOCIATION
104th ANNUAL CONVENTION
April 24- 28th, 2013
Omni William Penn Hotel
The Intercultural Communication Interest Group is seeking paper and program submissions for ECA’s Annual Convention to be held at the Omni William Penn Hotel located in downtown Pittsburgh, April 24-28, 2013. The convention theme is “Confluence.” This theme is exemplified by the long tradition of communication research bringing together ideas from various perspectives of communicator, message, channel, and context to better understand how humans create meanings and relationships. The theme clearly reflects the best in our interdisciplinary scholarship. Given this year’s conference theme, the intercultural communication interest group strongly encourages works that explore one or more of following areas of intercultural communication for submission:
Critical Intercultural Communication
Queer Intercultural Communication
Transnationalism, Diaspora, and Migration
In addition to:
African Communication and Culture
Asian Pacific Communication Studies
Gender (Feminist, Women’s and/or Men’s) Communication Studies
Transgender-Queer (GLBTQ) Communication Studies
Latino/Latina Communication StudiesAll submissions must be made electronically and received by October 14, 2012.Individual Paper Submissions:
Individual papers are completed papers that report original research, provide an extensive literature review or state of the art, or showcase some other form of scholarship. Papers that are to be considered will be no more than 25 pages (excluding title page, abstract, references, and appendices) and comply with the guidelines set forth in APA 6th edition. Submit two files (see below) concerning your submission, saved in Microsoft Word (.doc files) to Dr. Shinsuke Eguchi at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the email subject line the abbreviation “ECA” and the title of your paper. Include in the text of the email any requests for presentational aids (please see the technology statement listed below). Each submission must adhere to the following guidelines:
* The first file should include the completed paper; a one-page abstract; and a title page with the author name(s) and contact information (affiliation, mailing address, phone number, email address), the word “debut” if the author has not presented previously at a regional or national conference, an indication of who will present for multi-authored papers, and the statement of professional responsibility which appears below.
* The second file should include the completed paper beginning with a one-page abstract. Please mark the word “debut” on the top right corner of the abstract page if the author has not presented previously at a regional or national conference. All author-identifiers (excluding previous scholarly works cited in the paper and listed on the reference page) should be removed from this file.
We welcome submissions for a variety of programs including papers’ panels, round tables, and symposia. Feel free to contact the program planner with any ideas before you submit; we are happy to help with arrangements or contact potential participants. Panels should strive to include as many different institutions as possible.
Submit one copy of your proposal saved in Microsoft Word (.doc) to Dr. Shinsuke Eguchi. Include in the email subject line the abbreviation “ECA” and the title of your program. Include in the text of the email any requests for presentational aids (please see the technology statement listed below). Each submission must include the following:
* A title page with a thematic title for the program; panelists’ names and contact information (affiliation, mailing address, phone number, email address); and the statement of professional responsibility that appears below.
* Names of the chair and respondent, if any (note: individuals may not simultaneously chair, respond, and/or participate – a variety of individuals is required for panels)
* A rationale for the program.
* A title and (maximum) 150 word abstract for each presentation.
* A description of the panel (maximum 75 words) to appear in the final program.
* All submissions must include ECA’s Statement of Professional Responsibility: “In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this panel or paper if it is accepted and programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.”
* ECA’s Technology Policy: Equipment rental is very expensive. Therefore, before requesting technology, please read ECA’s statement on technology.
* Submissions that do not comply with the guidelines listed above will be returned.
* For additional information about the convention, including short courses and other programming, please see the ECA website.
* For additional information about this call for papers, please contact the Intercultural Communication Interest Group Program Planner:
Shinsuke Eguchi, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Intercultural Communication (Starting from August, 2012)
Department of Communication & Journalism
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001