Call for Papers: AILA 2020 (World Congress of Applied Linguistics) Symposium: S169: Tensions between monolingualism and multilingualism across university contexts, 9-14 August 2020, Groningen, The Netherlands. Deadline: September 16, 2019.
Organizers Maria Kuteeva (Stockholm University), Niina Hynninen (Helsinki University) and Kathrin Kaufhold (Stockholm University) invite submissions to two half-day sessions focusing on two major themes:
1) Discourses of monolingualism and multilingualism, and
2) Stakeholders’ perceptions of monolingualism and multilingualism.
The symposium aims to explore language perceptions and practices in multilingual university settings focusing on:
• tensions between discourses of monolingualism versus multilingualism;
• the dialectics between perceiving and experiencing languages as separable objects and translingual practices; and
• language-regulatory mechanisms and practices involving different stakeholders.
NOTE: There are another 16 symposia planned for this conference on various aspects of multilingualism.