Call for New Editor of Communication Theory (an ICA journal). Deadline: 31 January 2023.
The International Communication Association Publications Committee is soliciting applications for the next editor(s) of Communication Theory. The four-year term will begin in September 2023.
Communication Theory publishes research articles, theoretical essays, and reviews on topics of broad theoretical interest from across the range of communication studies. Essays, regardless of topic or methodological approach, must make a significant contribution to communication theory. Data-based papers are appropriate only insofar as they advance new theoretical developments in communication. Communication Theory recognizes that approaches to theory development and explication are diverse. No single approach or set of approaches is privileged.
The Publications Committee seeks applications from individuals or small teams of scholars from the ICA membership. The successful applicant(s) will be expected to build an editorial structure that reflects the tremendous diversity of the communication discipline around the globe. Multiple factors are considered when evaluating candidate applications, including, but not limited to:
- Clear understanding of the mission of the journal
- Clear articulation of an intellectual and operational vision for the journal
- Demonstrated openness to a range of epistemologies and methodologies appropriate for the scope of the journal
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in theoretical development
- Demonstrated interest and/or openness to interdisciplinary work
- Demonstrated communication skills and diplomacy
- Reputation and excellence of academic output
- Editorial, managerial or administrative experience
- Tenure or advanced rank
- Institutional support
- Team submissions should also demonstrate successful past collaboration and an articulation of how the workflow will be managed among team members.