Assistant Professor in English Language and Applied Linguistics
The University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus – School of English
Closes: 18th February 2016
The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus (UNMC) is expanding. It is looking for ambitious, talented academics with a passion for teaching as well as research flair to join its team of experts. UNMC is part of the University of Nottingham, and offers unique teaching and research opportunities in a highly dynamic context. The School of English (UNMC) was founded in 2013, and has developed a range of BA and MA programmes in the areas of applied linguistics, stylistics, discourse studies, world Englishes, modern literary studies and creative writing. Additionally, the Centre for Research in Applied Linguistics (CRAL) has been established at UNMC as a branch of CRAL in Nottingham, UK, and it is home to the Centre for Southeast Asian Writing (CSAW).
• To teach and contribute to core modules in the specified areas and to supervise undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations.
• To Examine and invigilate at examinations, and generally assist with the work of the School.
• Original research is regarded as an essential part of the job. Time, duties and facilities are provided for this purpose.
• Pastoral care of students via a personal tutorial system.
• Administrative duties relating to teaching (assessment, standardisation, lesson preparation, report writing, attendance of regular course and general meetings).
• To undertake a two-day Introductory Course on effective teaching, and the PGCHE (Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education), if appropriate.
• To attend professional-development workshops as deemed appropriate.
• Any other reasonable duties appropriate to the post.
This job description may be subject to revision following discussion with the person appointed and forms part of the contract of employment.
Salary depending on qualifications and experience will be within the following:
• Assistant Professor: RM 6,000 – RM 11,500 per calendar month (with discretionary points thereafter)
This position is available from February 2016, or as soon as possible thereafter, on a fixed term contract for a period of 5 years in the first instance. The contract will be held with The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus and is subject to you obtaining the appropriate work permit from the Malaysian Department of Immigration. Additional benefits and relocation packages are available for international candidates.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Head of School, Dr. Derek Irwin. Please note that applications sent directly to this email address will not be accepted. Applications, specifying the job being applied for, with current curriculum vitae, should be sent by email by 18 February 2016.
Short-listed candidates will be asked to provide two supporting letters of reference and copies of published or pre-published work. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.