Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum – The Institute for International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict
Closes: 31st December 2015
Ruhr University Bochum (RUB) is one of Germany’s leading research universities. Our Research School is an international college for structured doctoral and post-doctoral research in the life sciences, natural sciences, engineering, the humanities and social sciences.
The Institute for International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict (Institut für Friedenssicherungsrecht und Humanitäres Völkerrecht, IFHV) is an interdisciplinary central research institute at RUB. With its longstanding focus on and expertise in international law, the institute fosters research and teaching in the field of Humanitarian Studies, with participation from the faculties of Law, Social Science, Geosciences and Medicine.
The IFHV seeks to appoint a Postdoctoral Researcher (payment according to TV-L E 13) for a full-time (39.83 hours per week) fixed term position (3 years, extension possible). The successful applicant would commence the appointment on 1 March 2016 or as soon as possible after that date.
You will work for an institute with many national and international partners. Your primary task will be to conduct research in International Law, especially Humanitarian Law and adjoining fields. In addition, you will be responsible for our peer-reviewed journal in International Humanitarian Law Journal of International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict (JILPAC).
Your field of responsibility includes:
• Research in the area of International Law, especially Humanitarian Law and Refugee Law as well as related fields;
• Third party research fundraising and implementation of international research projects;
• Academic management of the peer-reviewed journal Journal of International Law of Peace and Armed Conflict (JILPAC);
• Teaching (4 hours per week), in particular in the NOHA Master.
• A doctoral degree (or equivalent) in International Law or adjoining disciplines;
• Ability to attract competitive independent third-party research funding;
• Capacity and experience in organising and coordinating academic conferences and workshops;
• Experience and capacity in cooperation and networking with (international) external partners in practice and academia;
• Capacity for multidisciplinary and collaborative research;
• Experience in research management and academic administration is an asset;
• Capacity to teach and publish in English;
• Developed written and verbal English communication skills, good German knowledge;
• Intercultural experience and/or background in humanitarian action is preferred.
RUB is an equal-opportunity employer, and seeks to enhance a fair gender distribution in all job categories and at all levels. RUB welcomes applications from female applicants and persons with a disability.
To apply, applicants must provide a complete set of application documents (letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and a list of publications, and the names and contact details of three referees) by 31 December 2015 via email (PDF/one document). Institut für Friedenssicherungsrecht und Humanitäres Völkerrecht (IFHV), Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Prof. Dr. Pierre Thielbörger, Managing Director, Massenbergstraße 9 B, 44787 Bochum, Germany.