Assistant Professor, Faculty of Communication
Nagoya University of Commerce and Business Administration
Application Deadline: December 5th, 2015
Founded in 1953, Nagoya University of Commerce and Business (NUCB) is situated on an exceptionally beautiful campus in the most economically productive region of Japan: Nagoya. One of the leading business schools in Japan, NUCB consistently receives high academic rankings and is strongly committed to global standards for excellence in scholarship and research. It is also the only business school in Japan to be accredited by both AACSB International and AMBA. NUCB is comprised of just over 3,500 students and 100 teaching staff. About 30 of the teaching staff are from abroad.
NUCB is now inviting motivated and academically inclined English language teaching scholars to join us in achieving our ambitious goals of our faculty. We are seeking to fill two positions for the 2016 academic year (contracts will start April 1st 2016).
Duties & responsibilities:
• Teaching responsibilities: 7 classes of 100 minutes per week, focusing on English language and cross-cultural communication with the aim of increasing student TOEIC scores.
• Non-teaching responsibilities: maintain office hours, provide additional support to students, conduct and publish research, and participate in all official university functions.
• Active participation in curriculum reform, course adaptation and faculty development.
Two-year renewable contract with a highly competitive salary based on qualifications and experience.
• Salary scheme will be paid in 14 installments per year.
• Holidays in line with normal Japanese university conventions.
• Excellent benefits package including private health insurance.
• Financial and other assistance in relocating to Japan (including obtaining a Japanese work visa) will be provided if necessary.
To apply, please gather the following application materials:
• Curriculum vitae including passport-type photo.
• List of academic and other publications.
• Letter of recommendation from current/previous academic supervisor/employer.
• Proof of degree qualifications, certificates etc.
• Statement of teaching and research philosophy and future research goals.
To apply for this position, please assemble all the application materials detailed above in electronic form, and emailed .
Applicants who meet the stated criteria will be contacted immediately upon receipt and invited for a teaching demonstration (in–person if in Japan or by recorded video if overseas) followed by an interview either in person, or by Skype for overseas applicants.
• ABD or a Ph.D. / Ed. D. in TESOL / applied linguistics (English) combined with experience of teaching at a higher educational institution.
• Qualified in and experience of teaching TESOL.
• High level of English proficiency.
In addition to the minimum requirements stated above, the following qualities are desirable:
• Experience of living and working in a cultural environment different from their own.
• Basic Japanese language ability is a bonus but not essential.