Call for papers
Association for Language Awareness
13th International Language Awareness Conference (ALA 2016)
Languages for Life: Educational, Professional and Social Contexts
WU Wien (Vienna University of Economics and Business)
July 19-22, 2016
Submission deadline: 15 November 2015
• LALT: Language Awareness in Language Learning and Language Teaching
• LAWB: Language Awareness in the Workplace and Business
• LAMA: Language Awareness and Awareness of (New/Social) Media
• LICA: Language Awareness, Culture/Intercultural Awareness, Communication Awareness
• CLA: Critical Language Awareness
• LAAV: Awareness and Attitudes concerning languages and their different varieties
For further inquiries you can contact us by email.
Confirmed plenary speakers
Veronika Koller (Lancaster University)
Almut Köster (Vienna University of Economics and Business)
Aneta Pavlenko (Temple University)
Dennis Preston (Oklahoma State University) (Eric Hawkins Lecture)
Abstracts must be submitted online and may not exceed 300 words (excluding references). Authors may submit a maximum of two abstracts if at least one of these is co-authored. The abstracts will be reviewed anonymously and notification of acceptance will be sent at the beginning of 2016. General registration will open in December 2015.
The language of the conference is predominantly English, but contributions in other languages will also be considered. In such case, PowerPoint or other visual materials should be in English or bilingual. Please choose the language which best suits your needs as well as those of your audience. (The abstracts, however, are supposed to be in English. But indicate the title also in the language planned for your presentation.)
The conference will consist of
– full paper presentations (20 minutes, 10 minutes Q&A)
– special symposia and panel discussions in cooperation with AILA/Association Internationale de Linguistique Appliquée (Research Networks “Research Cultures in Applied Linguistics” and “Folk Linguistics”; VERBAL/Austrian Association of Applied Linguistics)
– a poster slam/poster presentations (A0, portrait format)
– a workshop for PhD students / young scholars
PhD students and early career researchers are encouraged to send in abstracts as they may qualify for an ALA conference scholarship. More information will be made available on the website.
ALA 2016 will be held at the WU, one of the major business universities of Europe. The new campus of the WU, completed in 2013, sets new standards with regard to the construction of universities. It lies at the heart of Vienna and is easily accessible by public transport. The campus’ modern architecture and numerous convenient facilities make this an attractive area to explore, while the ‘Prater’-Park adjacent to the campus affords the opportunity to relax and unwind. Further information about the venue, travel arrangements and accommodation is available on the conference website.
If you are not yet a member of the Association for Language Awareness (ALA), we strongly recommend that you join now. ALA members will be charged a lower conference fee and will receive the official journal Language Awareness (four issues per year).