ifa Research Programme “Culture and Foreign Policy”
Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen (Institute for Foreign Cultural Relations), Stuttgart, Germany
Within the framework of ifa’s Research Programme‚ Culture and Foreign Policy‛ experts examine current issues related to foreign cultural and educational policy. In projects of three to six months, experts provide actors in the field of foreign cultural and educational policy with up-to-date scientific findings in a concise and precise way, they formulate recommendations for future foreign cultural policy and they initiate discussion forums and other events among experts.
The ifa (Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen), in partnership with EUNIC, is currently calling for proposals for the following research project, pending the allocation of funds:
Global Cultural Citizenship – New Dimensions for Cultural Diplomacy?
In a world of multiple transnational relationships and ever-increasing interconnectedness between civil societies, traditional approaches to cultural diplomacy are being challenged by more cooperative approaches, often labelled ‘cultural relations’, which focus on building intercultural understanding and long term relationships based on trust and credibility rather than delivering one-way messages. Within this new framework has emerged the concept: Global cultural citizenship, which promotes global cultural rights and global shared responsibilities. This is especially applicable to the current challenges posed by the protection of cultural heritage and mass migration.
This conference will ask the following questions: How should national cultural institutes and ministries of foreign affairs respond to these new dimensions for cultural diplomacy? To what extent do these institutions have a mandate to work beyond the national interest, either to promote European and/or Global cultural citizenship? What are the differences between national, European and Global values and principles? How should they be represented by national cultural institutes?
Format: International Conference in Brussels; Study in the ifa Edition Culture and Foreign Policy, concept and acquisition of about 10 speakers for a half day conference in Brussels.
Duration: 6 months
Start: 1 November 2015 Location: flexible
Deadline for applications: 26 October 2015
The research contract is for a sum of € 7,000.00 (gross).
Please send your complete application documents (in an attachment of max. 3 MB) via email to research(at)ifa.de by 26 October 2015 at the latest. Interviews are likely to be held in calendar week 44.
• Certificate of higher education (at least M.A.)
• Proven experience and sound knowledge in the subject area as well as in the field of foreign cultural and educational policy
• Proven experience in event organisation and public relations
• Very good skills in writing and editing scientific reports
• Very good language proficiency in English, proficiency in French would be an asset
• The advertised projects are full time fellowships. The chosen candidates may not be elsewhere employed during the research project. These rules do not apply to research contracts.
In order to apply for the advertised project, the following documents must be submitted:
• Letter of Motivation. With full personal details (including postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, mobile number)
• Details concerning the project:
• • Title and subject matter
• • Short statement explaining why the subject is relevant
• • Short outline of a one day conference including suggestions for speakers (2 pages in length)
• • Short outline of the study