Assistant Professor in Intercultural Communication, Tenure Track Position
St. Cloud State University
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Date of appointment: Fall semester, August 21, 2013. Vacancies at SCSU are contingent on university budgets and funding.
Description: The Department of Communication Studies is part of the College of Liberal Arts and School of the Arts, providing a solid foundation in the study of communication, with areas of emphasis in Relational, Intercultural, Rhetoric and Performance Studies, Leadership and Organization Communication and General Communication.
Responsibilities: The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching intercultural communication, intercultural communication in the global workplace, communication and culture in the U.S. and world regions (the region varies depending upon the expertise of the instructor), and problems in intercultural communication. All faculty teach the introductory hybrid course (which combines interpersonal, small group, and public communication). Additional responsibilities such as committee work and advising will be expected.
Tenure and promotion decisions are based on demonstrated ability to:
1. Teach and/or perform effectively
2. Scholarly/creative achievement or research
3. Continued preparation and study
4. Contribution to student growth and development
5. Service to the university and community
*Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization.
Qualifications and experience:
* Ph.D. in Communication Studies or Speech Communication required by August 21, 2013.
* The ideal candidate will have a broad background in Communication Studies with a concentration in intercultural communication.
* College/university level teaching experience
* Evidence of scholarly and/or creative achievement and service to the university or community
* The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to teach and work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Preference will be given to candidates who have coursework and teaching experience in the introductory intercultural communication course, whose focus will complement the existing intercultural communication program’s need for expertise in Asia, Central/South America, or Middle East cultures, and apply knowledge of new media in contemporary intercultural communication.
To apply for this position, please continue the process here.
Application must include:
1. Application letter and curriculum vitae
2. Evidence of effective teaching. At minimum, this should include a representative sample(s) of current teaching evaluations and course syllabi
3. Three to five current letters of recommendation and contact information for three current, professional references.
4. All graduate transcripts (scanned copies permitted for initial evaluation); if advanced to finalist, official transcripts are required.
5. Abstract of dissertation and/or research agenda and sample of creative or scholarly achievement
6. Evidence of commitment to incorporating diversity issues and perspectives. At a minimum, this should include a narrative describing how the candidate has or will incorporate these perspectives in teaching and professional activities
Screening of application materials will begin on February 18, 2013, and continue until position is filled. To receive full consideration, apply by this date and note that all requested application materials must be uploaded and attached to the online application.
Dr. Eddah Mutua, Intercultural Communication Search Committee Chair
Department of Communication Studies
Email: emmutuakombo AT stcloudstate.edu
St. Cloud State University is committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. To promote this endeavor, we invite individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply, including minorities, women, LGBT, persons with disabilities and veterans. St. Cloud State University is a member of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.