The Institute of Education at the University of Reading is seeking to appoint a motivated postdoctoral research fellow (full time, 27 months fixed term) to work on an ESRC-funded project jointly developed by University of Reading, UCL and Birkbeck. The project is entitled: Family Language Policy: A Multi-level Investigation of Multilingual Practices in Transnational Families. The project aims to explore what types of Family Language Policy (FLP) exist in the UK at the national level, how FLP is shaped, established, and implemented at the community level, and what language practices are negotiated at the family level.
The successful applicant will be involved in designing a national survey and conducting multi-level family language policy-related sub-projects within the Chinese communities and with different types of families. The applicant will be expected to manage the day-to-day project objectives, under the supervision of Dr Curdt-Christiansen, Professor Li Wei and Professor Zhu Hua.
Closing Date : 29/03/2017
International Partnerships Manager (China and East Asia)
University of Reading – International Study and Language Institute (ISLI)
Closes: 27th September 2016
Start date: as soon as possible
Interview date: 6 October 2016
An International Partnerships Manager (China and East Asia) is required to join our recently established International Partnerships team. The strategic importance of this region is demonstrated in the University’s significant investment in a joint Academy with Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology (NUIST). Launched in September 2015, the NUIST-University of Reading Academy (NUIST-UoR Academy) aims to enrol 300 undergraduate students in China across six discipline areas, with the option to study in Reading as part of their programme. The programmes are taught through the medium of English and the students graduate with a dual degree.
Initially, the post holder will spend a significant portion of their time contributing to further development of the NUIST-UoR partnership to ensure successful joint delivery and implementation of the Academy’s programmes. Once these are well-established, the role will evolve to focus more broadly on other East Asia transnational education (TNE) partnerships
You will have:
– Ability to develop, manage and analyse data to evidence recommendations and actions and to monitor and report on the specialist areas allocated to the role, assessing appropriate governance and advising on risk management and operational issues.
– Ability to contribute pro-actively as part of the team, and to articulate effectively in written and oral communications
– Good knowledge of internationalisation strategies in HE, and the global context for their development and operational implementation. Good knowledge of UK HE institutional policies and procedures.
– Strong commitment to excellence and accountability, with the maturity, perspective and credibility to work effectively with all levels of staff and the ability to manage unanticipated situations calmly, knowing when and where to seek advice and guidance
– A good undergraduate degree and excellent IT skills to support the effective analysis of data and communication of ideas and information.
– Good networking and intercultural communication skills; availability for international travel.
– Fluency in Mandarin would be an additional advantage.
Informal contact details
Contact role: Head of ISLI
Contact name: Prof Ros Richards
Contact email: r.j.richards[at]reading.ac.uk
Interviews will be held on 6th October 2016.