The 2020 Duolingo Language Report, issued December 15, 2020, includes trends, patterns, and analyses about language learning around the world.
The report includes 500 million learners in all 194 countries, and 39 different languages. It describes how interest in learning different languages has changed over time, especially in response to the global pandemic. It is a fascinating window on language learning across the globe and, of course, language learning is important part of intercultural dialogue.
The major findings include:
- 30 million new people take up language learning in the weeks after lockdown !!
- English remains the most popular language to study; Spanish overtakes French as #2
- Which countries study which languages?
- World is learning more Asian languages
- How do study habits differ around the world?
- In-depth analysis of language trends around the world