Call for proposals: Special issue on Refugee Integration in a Sharing Economy: Collective action, Organizational Communication and Digital Technologies for the International Journal of Communication (IJoC). Deadline for abstracts: July 30, 2020.
Issue editors Amanda Alencar and Yijing Wang (Erasmus University Rotterdam) are seeking papers that contribute knowledge to how collective action is enabled in a sharing economy in support of refugee integration in a diversity of contexts and situations. This includes but is not limited to voluntary contribution to refugee management and care at all different levels, from the public sector organizations to private firms, to civil society and refugee-led initiatives and networks.
Potential interdisciplinary questions which can be answered are:
1. How does enabling collective action in a sharing economy contribute to resolving the challenge of refugee integration?
2. In areas of limited statehood, which mechanisms help ensure effective governance of displaced populations in a refugee crisis?
3. What forms of organizational communication and action in terms of refugee integration stimulate the emergence of an ad hoc governance structure in the sharing economy?
4. How does media representation of collective action affect the planning and preparation at the state- and organizational-level in refugees’ receiving countries?
5. To what extent are digital technologies being developed and mobilized by different actors involved in an ad hoc governance of refugee populations?
6. How can the public, private and NGO sector work together to effectively boost economic opportunities to both refugees and host communities as well as social cohesion?