SSRC Global Summer Semester Residency at the University of Göttingen
As of 2016, the SSRC, working in collaboration with the CETREN Transregional Research Network at the University of Göttingen, is pleased to offer a short-term summer semester residency that will link researchers to the CETREN Transregional Research Network and the University of Göttingen.
The sponsor encourages applications addressing the following interrelated research themes and will also consider applications on other themes if prospective fellows wish to work on projects that engage with and reflect the existing research expertise at CETREN and the University of Göttingen:
1. Movements of Knowledge
– Entangled conceptual histories/”words in motion”/traveling theory: the global spread of concepts from the 18th century onwards
– New sites of knowledge production beyond the academy: the growth of think tanks; digital knowledge; civil society expertise; military knowledge in the shaping of regional and transregional knowledge
– Comparative global histories of area studies/regional studies
– Transregional diffusions and modulations of policy knowledge
2. Media, Migration, and the Moving Political
– International and domestic migration and the reshaping of political sovereignty, subjectivity, and citizenship practices; the migrant as political subject
– Migration and the generation of new normative orders (sovereignty; democracy; religion; work)
– Media flows and “new politics”
– Digital media and democratic futures; media and populism
3. Religious Networks.
These fellowships are open to all scholars in the humanities and social sciences (but not the arts).
The two geographic priorities are InterAsia and “Europe in a transregional context.” InterAsia includes all countries and regions stretching from West Asia through Eurasia to Central Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia and East Asia.
This award is subject to final grant approval from the German Ministry of Education and Research.
*Applicants must have the PhD in hand at the time of application.
*There is no affiliation requirement for applicants. All fellows must be affiliated with the University of Göttingen for the three-month 2017 summer semester.
*There are no citizenship requirements for this fellowship.
New Faculty/New Investigator
Fellows will receive €2,500 per month for three-months and one round trip economy class plane ticket to Göttingen. Award funds will be disbursed directly to individual grant recipients. In addition, the University of Göttingen will provide in-kind support in the form of office space and access to university resources.
Fellowship funds are to be expended over a three-month period and used for living expenses while in residence at the University of Göttingen.
Fellowship funds need to be expended in one continuous period (three-month 2017 summer semester, April 15, 2017 – July 15, 2017).