Call for Papers
Fourth International Korean Adoption Studies Research Symposium
Wednesday, August 3, 2016
Planned location: IKAA Gathering 2016, Seoul, Korea.
Symposium Sponsor: IKAA (International Korean Adoptee Associations).
Submissions Due by: December 1, 2015
Submit to: ISKAS2016@gmail.com
Questions? Please contact the Symposium organizers Sara Docan-Morgan, Tobias Hübinette, Kimberly McKee, and Elizabeth Raleigh at ISKAS2016@gmail.com.
The International Korean Adoptee Associations (IKAA) will convene the Fourth International Symposium on Korean Adoption Studies as part of the IKAA Gathering 2016. The field of Korean adoption studies is specifically concerned with international adoption from Korea including the experiences of overseas adopted Koreans, birth families, adoptive families, and the families of adoptees. We recognize and celebrate the interdisciplinary nature of Korean adoption studies. These scholars work at the intersections of Asian and Korean studies, postcolonial and cultural studies, and social and behavioral sciences. Their research is also engaged with issues of race and ethnicity, migration and diaspora, gender and family, and globalization and transnationalism.
The day-long symposium will bring together scholars from around the world who are conducting research in the field of Korean adoption studies. We also welcome submissions from scholars creating linkages between transnational adoptions from Korea and other sending countries such as China, Ethiopia, and Ukraine. By bringing together a diverse group of scholars from multiple fields, we hope to build on the momentum of the previous Research Symposiums to further academic inquiry and strengthen the network of scholars tackling questions surrounding international adoption.
We encourage submissions from everyone, but will prioritize academic papers from those who have completed or are currently enrolled in a terminal master’s or Ph.D. program. All studies involving human subjects must abide by IKAA’s Rules and Guidelines for Conducting Scholarly Research. We seek presentations/papers on a range of topics that represent as many of the current research approaches on Korean adoption as possible. Suggested topics include (but are not limited to):
– Research related to the theme of the IKAA Gathering 2016: Connecting Communities & Looking Towards the Future
– Links in adoption policy, history, ideology and/or adoption cultures between South Korea and other sending nations
– Ethics and positionality in Korean adoption research, imagining and researching adoption, including methodologies, disciplines and the politics of criticism
– The lifelong processes of Korean adoptee identity: Genealogies, long-term mental health issues in Korean adoptee populations, intimacy, sexuality, and family formation
– Korean adoption aesthetics, representation and affectivity
– Korean adoptee experiences in the context of the larger Korean diaspora
Submission Deadline and Instructions
Submissions are due December 1, 2015. No late proposals will be accepted. We will accept proposals via email only. A cover page submitted without attached proposal or CV is NOT considered complete. The cover page can be found online. We will not accept or consider submissions that are lacking information. Selection notifications will be made by e-mail by the end of January.