It aims to attract researchers whose work is informed by current theoretical debates in the social sciences and humanities over global connectivities and who are able to critically engage with shifting paradigms in “area studies” beyond the ways in which these have traditionally been conceived in the West.
We are particularly interested in receiving fellowship proposals that go beyond a mere analysis of current issues associated with African-Asian comparative economic developments or Chinese investments in Africa — although none of these themes, if appraised critically and for their societal consequences, will of course be excluded. Our definition of Asia and Africa is broad and inclusive, Asia ranging from the Middle-East to the Pacific Coast, and Africa from North-Africa to the southern tip of the continent.
• Fellowship of maximum 6 months
• Fellows will receive a monthly grant to cover the cost of living and housing
• Applications include a work plan of 1000 words maximum and a CV
• Candidates should have a PhD
The ASC-IIAS fellowship is intended for researchers specialising in Asian-African interactions. Interested applicants are invited to email/post their applications, consisting of:
• Application form download here (Word)
• Curriculum Vitae
• Two letters of reference
Please ensure that a minimum of two letters of reference are sent to us in confidence via email or post, commenting on the applicant’s academic abilities and the value of the applicant’s research project.
Closing dates for applications:
NEXT deadline: 15 March 2016.
NOTE: It is not possible to apply in September 2015.
From 2016 the closing dates are again 15 March and 15 September of each year.
Note for applications via email:
• You will receive a reply acknowledging receipt of your email/application.
• If you have already sent in your application via email, kindly do not send the same application via post and vice versa.
• Please keep your email and attachments below 10MB by zipping any large files, as emails larger than 10MB will be rejected by our email system.Address for submission of applications, reference letters and/or queries:
(2) IIAS-ASC Fellowship Programme
c/o Ms. Sandra van der Horst
International Institute for Asian Studies
2311 GJ Leiden