Deputy Director for Research and Operations at The Center for Global Communication Studies at The Annenberg School for Communication at The University of Pennsylvania
* This position will serve as the Deputy Director for Research and Operations of the Center for Global Communication Studies (CGCS) at The Annenberg School for Communication, working closely with CGCS’s Director in the development, implementation, and coordination of research, networking and training initiatives globally. For more information about the center see www.global.asc.upenn.edu;
* Project management: Manage international research programs, including serving as the point of contact with funding agencies; developing and maintaining relationships with partners; overseeing and managing project progress (identifying and hiring consultants; developing a program workplan and ensuring adherence to timeline and deliverables); working with the CGCS Grants Coordinator and Director to ensure compliance with federal and university regulations, monitor budget and adjust activities as necessary; write and/or edit final programmatic reports;
* Supervise staff: Serve as Staff Director, including direct supervision of Center administrative staff, Annenberg Research Assistants, student workers, and other temporary staff, and manage all administrative support activities of the Center;
* Communications, Publications and Outreach: engage in outreach activities with internal Annenberg School/Penn and external constituencies in order to develop partnerships and programs, and to generate knowledge and share resources that advance the missions of the Annenberg School and the University of Pennsylvania. Develop opportunities for graduate students; and encourage and support capacity-building for global communications research and practice among centers and individuals. Outreach activities include assisting with the development of international/comparative media programs and programs related to the offerings of the Annenberg School. Organize, coordinate, and facilitate summer programs, workshops, conferences and other activities related to international or comparative media and communication study, research and scholarship. Coordinate with media programs in London, Budapest and other elements of a CGCS network; write concept papers, proposals for funding sources and program ideas; travel (both domestic and international) and conduct research as necessary;
* Fundraising: Participate in fundraising including identifying funding opportunities, and preparing grant proposals;
* Work closely with the Director on all aspects of the Center’s operations, including developing a budget and annual strategic plan of action for the Center;
The minimum of a Master’s Degree in International Relations, Communications, Political Science, Law, or other related topic, and 5 to 7 years of relevant program management experience is required. Ph.D. is preferred. Highly functioning, detail-oriented, and analytical candidate who can think strategically about organizational expansion. Must be able to develop a workplan and oversee the plan from beginning to end. Experience in international development and/or having worked in different countries. Grant pre-award experience highly desirable. Excellent research and writing skills desirable. Excellent computer skills. Strong interpersonal skills required. Able to work effectively with people from diverse disciplines and backgrounds. Must be able to work independently and collaboratively to achieve goals.
The University of Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.